Balsamic and Onion Slow Cooker Pot Roast
3-4 pound roast
1 cup of beef broth
2-3 large onions, peeled and sliced
1-2 tbsp avocado oil (or cooking oil)
½ cup balsamic vinegar
½ cup of tomato paste
¼ cup of water
½ tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
1 tbsp Onion powder
1 tbsp Garlic powder
1. Rub meat well with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic pepper.
2. Heat a pan (medium-high heat) with a small amount of oil and brown meat on both sides (4-5 minutes per side).
3. While meat is browning, in a separate small pot bring the beef broth to a boil and let it reduce to ½ cup. Let it cool and mix in the balsamic vinegar and tomato sauce.
4. Once the meat is browned on all sides, remove and deglaze the pan with ¼ cup of cold water. Add these pan drippings to the sauce pan.
5. Place sliced onions in the bottom of the slow cooker. Put the meat on top and poor the beef broth mixture on top.
6. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, until beef is tender. Top the roast with liquid from the crockpot and serve!
*If you are really pressed for time, you can always skip the browning/sauce-making steps and just put all of the ingredients in the crockpot. It will still be good, just not as flavourful.
In addition to this roast you can serve with steamed carrots (with 1 tsp of butter/ghee). You can also add potatoes to the crockpot (cut in ½ or ¼ depending on the size) and you’ll have a quick carbohydrate source as well.